Miami Heat Guard Dwyane Wade: Friend of Jane

April 6, 2006

Dwyane Wade Friend of Jane Alert Janeite Nan sent a press release with the comment, “How cool is this?” We say, pretty darn cool!

Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade will make an appearance at Miami Dade College’s Wolfson Campus on Thursday, April 13, 2006, at 6:30 p.m. to discuss Pride and Prejudice with the Heat’s announcer; the event is a celebration of Penguin’s newly-packaged classics and a promotion of reading and literacy. If you buy a copy of one of the Penguin books available, you’ll get a copy of the poster pictured here, featuring Mr. Wade reading from P&P. (If anyone from Penguin is reading this–the Editrix would LOVE one! *cough cough*)

From the press release:

The project began when Penguin Classics and the NBA asked Wade to help celebrate the 60th Anniversary of Penguin Classics and NBA Cares “Read to Achieve” Literacy Initiative by choosing a classic title. Wade selected Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice as his favorite Penguin Classic.

“I’ve read Pride and Prejudice a couple of times,” Wade explained. “It’s one of my favorite books, which usually surprises people. I guess they wonder how a love story from Regency England could be relevant to a 21st century basketball player from the Southside of Chicago. Class struggle, overcoming stereotypes and humble beginnings, getting out of your own way and letting love take over: these are things I can relate to, definitely.”

We LOVE this guy!!!

Other NBA stars chose some great books as well: Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, The Crucible by Arthur Miller, and Narrative of My Life as a Slave by Frederick Douglass.

The event is free and open to the public; seating is first come, first served. Check out the press release for details.

ETA: Alert Janeite Robyn wrote to tell us that the Penguin Classics US Web site has an expanded quote from Dwyane and a PDF of the poster so you can print it yourself.

1. Robyn permalink
    April 7, 2006 12:16 am

Mags, This made my Weekend, Imagine an NBA star choosing Jane Austen it is fantastic. I also want that poster, perhaps you can buy a copy from penguin directly.

~R

2. AmandaJ permalink
    April 7, 2006 4:56 am

I don’t even know who this guy is (hey, I’m Australian), but oh my! Mostly because of the quote attributed to him!!

3. Jessica permalink
    April 7, 2006 10:08 am

Ok Mags let me just tell you that Dwayne Wade is one of my new favorite people. I LOVE to hear when athletes learned more in school than just how to play their sport. And how cool is it that a bonafide NBA star is a friend of Jane! I love his quote because he really comprehends what P&P is about and how he relates the themes of the book to his own life. From what he says he seemed to understand it a lot more than a certain director of P&P3 that we all know. Bravo for him!!!!

4. April 7, 2006 10:19 am

Look! A tall, dark, handsome man reading Jane Austen! *swoony*

I am Dwayne Wade’s newest fangirl. Hmmm… Maybe I should forward this to my Austen-hating brother who professes to be too macho for “books about balls”.

5. Kira permalink
    April 7, 2006 11:50 am

I adore this, though I admit that I would have never suspected it! I’d like to have a copy of the poster too…

6. Julie B. permalink
    April 7, 2006 4:11 pm

I

7. April 7, 2006 8:47 pm

That is so cool! He hit P&P right on the head when he described it, it gave me goosebups! It’s so neat when a celebrity who doesn’t seem like they should know anything about Jane really understands her and her works! Yay Jane! :D

8. Julie B. permalink
    April 7, 2006 9:00 pm

Guess it didn’t like my comment.

I :heart: Dwayne.

9. Chantel permalink
    April 7, 2006 9:03 pm

“Look! A tall, dark, handsome man reading Jane Austen! *swoony*” -Katharine T

LOL!! Loving him too! That’s so cute! A big, tall, basketball player who loves Pride and Prejudice!
    I have to tell the boys in my class! Whenever me and my girlfriends mention P+P and other related topics, they make comments. Like, “You’re obsessed,” or “What’s so great about it anyway?” or “Pride and Prejudice is stupid.” They think every period piece we talk about is P+P. *shakes head and rolls eyes* Boys!

10. Cota permalink
    April 8, 2006 7:37 am

O.O Maybe he is our Mr. Darcy in a basketball player…hahahaha!!! Love him an oviously love Jane!!!!

11. Linda permalink
    April 9, 2006 6:24 pm

What a discovery! An NBA player who actually read Pride and PRejudice. I’ll
    bet he saw the movie with his girlfriend and decided to read the book. What a special guy. So many guys won’t go there as they have it labeled chick lit, or chick flick. Men tend to label everything. In the same way, I know too many men who won’t see Brokeback Mountain, labeling that as well, instead of trying to understand the love story.

12. Trish permalink
    April 10, 2006 11:28 pm

I went to the Penguin site that is promoting this program and the whole thing sounds wonderful. Not only is Wade doing something with Jane, but other NBA and WNBA players are matched with other classic books. NBA Cares…the NBA really does care!!!!

Is anyone going to this event? I’d love to hear what Dwyane has to say.

13. Joan permalink
    April 12, 2006 1:50 pm

As President of the Jane Austen Society of North America, I have made Dwayne Wade an honorary Member of the Society.

14. April 12, 2006 1:59 pm

Hi Joan!!! *waves*

(We met at the March event for the Eastern PA Region.)

15. Bridget permalink
    April 17, 2006 5:24 pm

I’m officially now a fan. I cant read the rest of the quote though…

Trackbacks