L-L-L-Lizzy and the Jets?

February 17, 2009

Alert Janeite Brittany wrote to tell us that Pride and Predators is the latest bit of Jane Austen backlash that the hipsters are perpetrating against Jane.

Will Clark is set to direct Pride and Predator, which veers from the traditional period costume drama when an alien crash lands and begins to butcher the mannered protagonists, who suddenly have more than marriage and inheritance to worry about.

[ . . . ]

The article says it is to “start shooting this year” but we’ve heard that before, so we’re not holding our breath or anything.

Elton John is executive producer. Oh, Rocket Man. We’re deeply disappointed. Don’t you have something nice and sparkly to spend your money on instead of this?

ETA: Upon further cogitation, we begin to think this might be a hoax. Seriously, Elton John executive producing?

1. February 17, 2009 8:49 am

Ack!

““It felt like a fresh and funny way to blow apart the done-to-death Jane Austen genre by literally dropping this alien into the middle of a costume drama, where he stalks and slashes to horrific effect,” Furnish said.”

And aliens dropping out of the sky is a genre that hasn’t been done to death? Oh, puhlease.

2. February 17, 2009 9:00 am

Could the aliens slash up Rozema’s Mansfield Park? Or that insane Northanger Abbey from a couple of decades ago? I’d watch both of those!

3. Cinthia permalink
    February 17, 2009 11:03 am

I sincerely hope it is a hoax, because things Austen in this kind of genre is getting out of proportion, first zombies and now predators would be too much to my nerves and my liver. Bleah!

4. February 17, 2009 11:20 am

I don’t see anything on snopes.com about it, but then again this is a new story, so they may be researching it.

I agree though – I think I want this to be a hoax. Let’s see how it works with zombies first before things get too out of hand.

5. Elaine Dashwood permalink
    February 17, 2009 11:30 am

Zombies, now aliens. What’s next?

February 17, 2009 11:53 am

Valerie, I’m with you!

I don’t think it’s a snopes-level type of hoax (which is more like e-mail forwards and urban legends), I think somebody might just be trying to get a rise out of the Uptight Janeite Purists and Middle Aged Austen Whores.

Even if not, I think somebody’s using the zombie bandwagon to parade their dopey idea and I sincerely doubt it will ever get made.

Remember how they keep telling us period films are too expensive for the poor destitute Hollywood studios to afford? You think adding aliens and zombies and other F/X will make them any cheaper? Doubtful. They can’t get any cheaper than the schlock ITV foisted upon us.

7. Sandra_in_the_US permalink
    February 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Why does anyone think Austen needs freshening up? If they don’t like it why don’t they COME UP WITH SOME IDEAS OF THEIR OWN????

(‘n git offa mah dam lawn, whilst they’s at it!)

8. Maria L. permalink
    February 17, 2009 7:53 pm

I am looking forward to Pride and Protoceratops–where Meryton gets invaded by dinosaurs, the Bennet girls make a pet of a friendly Brontosaurus, the Bingley sisters get eaten by Velociraptors, and Mr. Collins has an amusing encounter with a TRex.

9. LauraGrace permalink
    February 18, 2009 12:01 am

Zombies, aliens, Maria L. covered dinosaurs… what’s next—pirates? Werewolves? (Vampires have been done to death now.)

I for one would be interested in seeing a certain Time Lord step into Austen’s world…

10. Kira permalink
    February 18, 2009 4:09 am

If it’s not true they managed to fool a lot of people. My Danish Newspaper reported the story this morning and the British Guardian has the story:

They all report back to this article in Variety

11. Franka permalink
    February 18, 2009 4:18 am

This was also mentioned on a Dutch website. I hope they are not going to make this film. It’s such a stupid idea and I don’t think anyone will be interested in seeing it.

12. Elaine Dashwood permalink
    February 18, 2009 8:26 am

Could be “Back to Austen”: Marty McFly arrives in a DeLorean and Elizabeth falls in love with him and Doc tries desperately to fix the disruption in the Time-Space continuum.

13. February 18, 2009 2:10 pm

This is not so original…

14. February 18, 2009 2:11 pm

And this one:

If the alien would be the real predator, I would surely go! XD