Weekend Bookblogging: They Want To Suck Your Blood Edition

June 7, 2009

We’re following up on Friday Bookblogging because a. we forgot some stuff and b. there is a lot of news on the JA paranormal front this weekend. We imagine some of our Gentle Readers scratching their head and murmuring, “JA paranormal? What?”

Alert Janeite Trai wrote to tell us that a Deluxe Edition of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies that will contain oil painting illustrations will be out later this year. Because what every horror novel needs is full color gore.

Amanda Grange, author of a popular series of author hero books, got a bit sidetracked while reading Gothics to research Henry Tilney’s Diary and ended up writing…Mr. Darcy, Vampyre, which will be out in August. (and yay for old-fashioned spelling! But he better stay away from Woodston or Henry Tilney will slay him, and that would be very very unfortunate.)

These books, of course, join Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford, in which Jane Austen is a vampire bookstore owner (the first book of a series, apparently), and The Immortal Jane Austen, in which Jane joins the vampire resistance in Bath when England is invaded by the French, also the first in a series. These books will be out in 2010.

(We’ve been entertaining correspondents with the tidbit that we once spent a great deal of time planning a Persuasion fan fiction involving then-Lieutenant Benwick and a vampire. Unfortunately it is not a parody, and even more unfortunately we fear it might have been funny nonetheless, which is why we abandoned the idea. But we really need to spend some time finishing up Henry’s Secret Diary, we think. But the larger point is that the Collective Unconscious is an interesting thing. We had this idea four or five years ago, incidentally.)

1. Maria S. permalink
    June 7, 2009 4:44 pm

To my great surprise, I enjoyed reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombie. I found myself guffawing in many instances. I don’t care what the author says, he’s read Jane Austen and respects her. If you haven’t read it, get to it.
    By the way, I finally watched Lost in Austen. Also a huge surprise. As long as you aren’t a purist, it’s a great romp.

2. June 7, 2009 7:15 pm

I am going into seclusion; someone let me know when this stupid vampire craze is over.

3. June 7, 2009 8:04 pm

No way ever. Never. Naw. Vampires and zombies go away. Vamoose! I’m so over this craze, and I wonder why others aren’t either.

4. June 7, 2009 8:29 pm

Mag – there’s more! Darcy’s Hunger: A Vampire Retelling of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, by Regina Jeffers due out 1 Dec 2009.

This Darcy is a conflicted Dhampire. :-)

5. Maeri permalink
    June 8, 2009 11:16 am

Hey Mags,

I don’t know if you know this, but author Sherwood Smith has written a story in a Fantasy anthology titled Lace and Blade, where Jane Austen apparently meets Dracula.
    This might be of interest in keeping with the vampire craze that has made zombies of half the western population (!)
    I love Henry Tilney’s Secret Diary!

6. Kelley B permalink
    June 8, 2009 2:49 pm

Yes Mags, you really need to do more with Henry’s Secret Diary!!

7. Kim E permalink
    June 9, 2009 8:07 am

I’m with Kelly B – bring on Henry’s diary, part the fourth!

8. Reeba permalink
    June 9, 2009 9:15 am

Yes, some of us prefer your kind of vampire, Mags. :-D

Never was I so pleased to be living where all these zombie stuff is not available. I may enter bookshops with impunity. :-)

9. ElsieV permalink
    June 9, 2009 5:16 pm

Don’t understand the relationship between the most beautiful novel ever wrote, and not only that, but wrote by the most wonderful writer….and vampires, zombies, blooooddd and other nasty things…and honestly I do not want to undersand it, because to me, does not make any sense!

I go to seclusion with you S!

10. Mandy N permalink
    June 10, 2009 6:21 am

Yeah, I don’t see any relationship between JA & vampyres- they weren’t in English novels till 1819 but such a minor inconvience didn’t stop NA2. ;) But please do bring on Part de Four of The Secret Diaries of Henry Tilney ! Umm, is it possible to illustrate with pictures or for Austenblog to publish Henry Tilney’s Diaries as a fanfic comic book ?

11. Kathleen G permalink
    June 10, 2009 12:30 pm

There is something very odd about the Grange book. Can it be a hoax? Because there is no sign of it on Amazon (.com or .UK) which I would have expected there would be if it was coming out as soon as August. The Jeffers book, though with a much later publication date, is already available for pre-order, and I see she is also starting on Captain Wentworth with a book called Wayward Love, already out. And yet grange quotes an ISBN. It’s most rum.

June 10, 2009 12:41 pm

I don’t think it’s a hoax. But Hale has a shorter turnaround time for books than most publishers, and they usually put books on their own website first, so it might not have made its way to Amazon quite yet. Once an ISBN is assigned, it will be picked up soon enough.

13. Kathleen G permalink
    June 11, 2009 1:13 pm

No doubt you are right, though there is at present no sign of it on the Hale website either. On the whole I would rather she had stuck with dear Henry’s Diary, or at least finished it before jumping on the supernatural bandwagon. When I get that useful article A Round Tuit I shall hie me to Waterstones booksellers and see what they make of the ISBN.

14. June 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Sourcebooks just confirmed they will be issuing 75,000 copies for August.

15. Baja Janeite permalink
    June 11, 2009 6:36 pm

The vampire/zombie books don’t tempt me, either. “Dark Shadows” overload in grade school probably cured me of any fascination as an adult. Even Mr. William Collins appeals to me more than another Barnabas Collins!

16. June 12, 2009 9:20 am

Sourcebooks purchased world rights and the August release is in the U.S. only–I made a mistaken assumption. Hale isn’t involved at all.

17. Rhonda permalink
    June 20, 2009 9:58 pm

Mags, could you have Henry Tilney slay Edward Cullen while you are at it…. I blame TWILIGHT. Gah.